[This is very comprehensive article about the internationally researched health risks for children exposed to cell phones,complete with research references below.]
Would you allow 1600 chest x-rays for yourself or your child?
Some scientists say that’s what 24 hours of cell phone use amounts to. Here’s visual proof.
Some scientists say that’s what 24 hours of cell phone use amounts to. Here’s visual proof. [See: http://alternative-doctor.com/cell-phones-as-bad-as-x-rays/ These slides may have been removed, but the descriptions below are graphic.]
Slide one (top left) shows a normal healthy cell under magnification. This cell is a bright energetic little orb with its DNA and other genetic materials safely inside the cell membrane.
Slide two (top right) shows a living cell exposed to 1600 chest X-rays. This cell is shrunken and has lost its energetic brightness. There is a comet trail of fragmented DNA particles, visible streaming out of the cell. These DNA fragments are called micronuclei, typical mutations from excessive X-rays, or from gamma waves of nuclear detonation.
Slide three (bottom) shows a cell exposed to 24 hours of cell phone radiation. Its comet tail of micronuclei damage is virtually identical to that of 1600 chest x-rays.
The frequency used was 1.8 gigahertz (1800 megahertz), typical cell phone frequencies are around 1.9 gigahertz (and also from many household cordless phones).
The power level used to micronucleate this photograph was 1.3 W/k Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). SAR is the calculated amount of energy absorbed by the human body from microwave phones. Many cell phones produce MORE power than that.
KIDS SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED CELL PHONES. Instead, they live with them like a second appendage.
By 2010 there will be 31 million young cell phone users, 10.5 million of them pre-teens.(1) “Parents have made teens and their younger 8-12 year old siblings the fastest growing segment of the cell phone market,” says Yankee Group, a consulting firm which promotes all things wireless.(2) In 2007, a Harris Interactive survey reported that American kids age 10-17 admit to using a cell phone an average of up to 3.75 hours per day.(3) A teen boasting five or more hours per day is not uncommon.
As heavy users of wireless, these millions of idle, entertainment-starved kids are among the radiation industry’s most lucrative cash cows. But getting milked at an early age should garner hazard pay, according to thousands of scientific studies compiled over decades. There is ample evidence that kids who continually irradiate themselves with pulsing, ELF-embedded microwaves from wireless devices are being set up for general health degradation, severe nerve damage, mental incapacitation and life threatening tumors.
Cell phone warnings from all over the world
“I would not want to be a heavy user of a mobile phone,” says Professor Bruce Armstrong, researcher at the University of Sydney School of Public Health. Heading the Australian component of the multi-nation Interphone study project, Armstrong told the media in April, 2008, that evidence of a mobile phone connection with harmful effects, including tumors, is accumulating.(4)
For kids, this is bad news. In 2005, the Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics confirmed that children are especially sensitive to all electromagnetic fields because their developing nervous systems are fragile, their brain tissues more conductive and their smaller skeletons more easily penetrated by the waves.(5)
Russian scientists responsible for public health have issued an urgent warning about wireless health damage, recommending that children under 18 limit the use of cell phones to emergency calls only.(6)
The Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection says that we may expect kids who use cell phones to suffer not only brain tumors and dementia, but also increased epileptic readiness and depressive mental illness.(47)
British and Austrian health officials warn that kids may be especially susceptible to serious health problems from wireless devices.(7) Canadian officials say that children should limit cell phone use until health science catches up with technology.(8) The French health minister advised in January, 2008, that kids be allowed no more than 6 wireless minutes at any one time.(9) (Cleanup workers at Chernobyl were limited to a few minutes in nuclear radiation areas).
Yet, not a single U.S. health agency is warning about the horrific risks to kids. Which is ironic, since American kids have the most WiFi gadgets. It’s supposed to be “cool” but actually they are getting pretty hot to fried with this stuff. Wireless radiation guarantees major disruption in the chemical communication pathways between all the cells of the body and that’s been known since WW2.(10)
Because the wireless industry controls the mainstream media with $billions in advertising, there is a conspicuous media blackout of important radiation science coming from labs all over the world. Here’s what you are NOT being told:
1. Microwave phones can make kids hearing-impaired. According to research presented in 2007 by the American Academy of Otolaryngology, cell phone radiation incrementally damages the inner ear, causing high frequency hearing loss. Those who talk an hour a day or more, sustain the most damage.(11) Youthful cell phone habituates will suffer major and irreversible hearing damage by the time they reach young adulthood.
2. Microwave phones can make kids vision-impaired. Microwaves cause eye lens opacity similar to cataracts. In the 1970s, researcher Milton Zaret demonstrated that weak microwave fields cause debilitating subcapsular eye lesions, sometimes years after exposure.(12) Israeli researchers have confirmed that microwaves at cell phone intensities cause macro and micro damage to the entire visual system, including tiny bubbles that can form on the eye lens.(13) Dr. Om Gandhi at the University of Utah reported that the eye lens of a 10 year old child will absorb five times more cell phone radiation than an adult eye.(14) Metal-rimmed eyeglasses can absorb microwaves, then re-emit that radiation onto the eye surface.(15)
This is like micro-cooking a child’s eyes.
3. Microwave phones can make kids brain-impaired. Brain scans show that microwave phone radiation penetrates deeply into a child’s brain.(16) Within minutes, cell phone microwaves can open the blood brain barrier, allowing albumin and other chemicals from tiny blood vessels to leak into sensitive brain tissues. This leakage causes irreversible oxidative stress and nerve tissue damage.(17) Brain hormones, including melatonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and thyroid stimulating hormone are disrupted by phone microwaves.(18)
4. Microwave phones highly elevate a child’s cancer risk. In late 2007, Israeli experts announced that talking as little as 10 minutes on a cell phone triggers changes in brain tissues linked to abnormal cell division and cancer.(19) Phone microwaves are implicated in both eye and salivary gland tumors.(20) In 2006, studies by three European research groups reported an increased incidence of brain tumors in people who have used mobile phones for ten years or more. After 2000 hours of microwave phone exposure, kids face a 240 percent increased risk of developing brain malignancy.(21) If the 1.75 million 8 and 9 year olds who now use cell phones average only half an hour a day, they will be at high risk for radiation cancer in their teen years. Cancer is the number two cause of death for American children.
No sane parent would submit his child to 1600 chest X-rays over a 24 hour period. Yet a mere 24 hours of wireless phone radiation can inflict the same damage to a child’s tissues as 1600 chest X-rays. This is the crux of studies completed by 12 groups of researchers from seven European countries who collaborated in the REFLEX study project to gauge the effects of wireless radiation on human health. The truth of what they found is shown in a series of images above (22).
The U.S. government allowed wireless phones to be put on the market in the 1980s with absolutely no safety testing.
The truth is that tissue damage from wireless microwave radiation is known to be as cumulative as that from ionizing X-radiation. If we divide the tissue damage of 1600 chest X-rays by 24 cell phone hours, you could argue the following:
For each minute a child presses a microwave phone to his head, he may suffer radiation damage equivalent to approximately 1.1 chest X-rays.
For each hour a child uses a transmitting wireless phone or wireless laptop to communicate, watch videos/TV or play games, he may be exposing his developing brain, eye and gut tissues to radiation damage equivalent to 66.6 chest X-rays.
Ionizing X-radiation, like that used for chest X-rays and other medical procedures, is on carcinogen “List One,” compiled by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). IARC is an intergovernmental agency forming part of the World Health Organization. IARC ranks X-radiation on par with gamma radiation, plutonium, dioxin and benzene, all known to induce cancer in both animals and humans. There is no “safe” dose determined for any substance or exposure on IARC’s List One.
It’s sobering that microwave radiation, blasting from an entire generation’s wireless phones, inflicts the same kind of DNA damage as ionizing radiation on IARC’s carcinogen List One. What REFLEX studies prove is how quickly that devastating damage takes place.
The public health catastrophe being unleashed by indiscriminate use of wireless phones is further brought into focus by a double-blind medical study completed in India in 2005 and published in the Indian Journal of Human Genetics.(23)
The study analyzed micronucleated cell damage in blood and buccal (mouth) tissues of people who use their cell phone one to 15 hours a day. The control group had never used cell phones at any time. DNA samples were coded and scored blind in strict protocol.
The test results of the “Indian study” are as stunning as the REFLEX work. The non cell phone users had an average of only four percent of their cells with DNA damage. The human body has a chance of meeting this moderate cellular reconstruction challenge, although every DNA repair operation carries with it a chance of error.
A whopping average of 39.75 percent of cells taken from mobile phone users showed DNA damage. The blood of one 24-year-old male revealed 63 percent micronucleated cells. He had used a cell phone for 1-2 hours per day for two years, the norm for millions of kids.
The Indian study confirms that the human body, overwhelmed with the continual and brutal assault of wireless radiation, is unable to perform normal cellular repair. Other studies confirm that microwave radiation, which causes a critical need for continual cellular repair, simultaneously shuts down cellular repair mechanisms.(24) The body’s exhausted immune and repair systems eventually become too decimated to do much more than survive poorly.
So the latest studies reveal what no one wants to hear: Kids who endlessly cell-phone socialize, even sleep with perpetually transmitting wireless devices (to keep intermittent conversations on line), are doing immense damage to their tissues, especially the brain and setting up a storm of problems which they will reap in later life. The profiteers or corporate America don’t care. They want their money NOW; to Hell with the future of these kids.
Radiation researcher Dr. Milton Zaret told congressional investigators years ago that the dangers of non-ionizing radiation cannot be overstated because “most non-ionizing radiational injuries occur covertly, usually do not become manifest until after latent periods of years, and when they do become manifest, the effects are seldom recognized.”(25)
The hundreds of types of human cancers have one thing in common—they all begin at the cellular level when genetic material in one or more cells becomes damaged. This damage can be passed from parents, or caused by the effects of an environmental carcinogen. “…Genetic mutations in one single cell are sufficient to lead to cancer,” says Dr. Henry Lai. Dr. Lai is a celebrated scientist at the University of Washington who has years of genetic and bioenergetics research to his credit.(26)
But long before epidemic cancers, young cell-phone users are destined to suffer the symptoms of neurasthenia, or what the Soviets used to call “radiowave sickness.” The symptoms include headache, fatigue, skin rashes, weakness, tinnitus, dizziness, moodiness and sleeplessness. These warning signs are just the beginning of a long, downward spiral of general deterioration, including circulatory ailments, immune dysfunction, allergies and premature aging.
Immune System Dysfunction.
A child’s body, kept in chronic allergic stress by wireless phone radiation, may end up with an exhausted immune system which no longer responds effectively. European experts prognosticate that many people heavily exposed to wireless radiation may eventually suffer the manifestations of electro-hypersensitivity (EHS).(34) EHS is a devastating allergic, auto-immune-like condition in which over-irradiated persons become severely sensitive to both chemical and electromagnetic pollution. Similar to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, EHS symptoms can be so disabling that victims are often forced to isolate themselves from even the smallest electromagnetic fields.
Within two minutes of microwave phone exposure, the electrical activity of a child’s brain is abnormally altered for up to one hour.(39) British radiation expert Dr. Gerald Hyland reported that cell phones which use repetitive, pulsing 2 Hz and 8.34 Hz frequencies can badly disrupt the delta and alpha stabilization process in a child’s developing brain.(40)
Dr. Hyland confirmed that cell phone energy can cause radical changes in human mood and behavior.(41) This is the case because microwaves at cell phone levels can unleash a cornucopia of radical damage to all parts of the brain, including the cortex, the hippocampus (memory center) and the basal ganglia. To wit:
Scientists have demonstrated that cell phone radiation causes immediate blood flow changes in the brain, and also deregulates calcium efflux from brain cells, causing cell membranes to weaken and leak.(42)
Researchers in Finland have shown that one hour of cell phone radiation causes brain cells to shrink, indicating permanent damage to cell structure as confirmed by REFLEX studies.(43)
The Max Planck Institute in Germany reported that cell phones can blast heat spikes into the brain which may flash burn cell membranes to the boiling point of water. (44)
British researchers have shown that weak microwave radiation can change the shape of brain proteins into formations resembling pathological fibrils associated with Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Disease. (45)
Swedish scientists demonstrated that cell phone radiation makes holes (lesions) in rat brains and they predict a wave of early-onset Alzheimer’s in young cell phone users. (46)
And what about environmental microwave transmitters?
Millions of American kids, struggling with physical disabilities and mental manias, are heavily irradiated not only with Wi-toys, but also by ubiquitous environmental transmitters needed to feed those toys. Nearly 200,000 cell tower and roof top transmitters continuously saturate American cities, playgrounds and passing vehicles with DNA-damaging waves equivalent to ionizing radiation. Living in transmitter-zapped neighborhoods where microwaves pass easily into homes, millions of infants and small kids have no respite from daily, deadly radiation assault.
Unregulated Wi-Fi systems, wireless local area network routers, security monitors, cordless phone systems and other types of wireless transmitters X-ray the interiors of malls, airports, offices, schools, hospitals and millions of homes 24/7. Many commercial and retail enterprises are switching to wireless inventory systems. These and retail inter-personnel push-to-talk radio systems literally “cook” stores and malls where kids congregate.
Many public transport systems are being wired for Wi-Fi. Soon, commercial aircraft will offer Wi-Fi computer services, compelling all passengers to absorb the toxic rays of mid-flight entertainment. Many vehicles are wired with GPS navigation and/or tracking systems. These rolling hotspots zap not only passengers, but people passing by.
The federal government has never developed adequate safety standards for long-term environmental exposure to this barrage of wireless radiation. U.S. standards are antiquated and calculated for short term exposure only. In 2002, the EPA’s Radiation Protection Division confirmed that the FCC’s current exposure guidelines are thermally (burn) based and do not apply to chronic exposure of non-thermal wireless pollution which now enshrouds the nation.(48)
In 2007, 14 world-class public health experts and radiation researchers announced in their BioInitiative Report on Electromagnetic Radiation that current public microwave exposure standards are thousands of times TOO LENIENT.
Having compiled the weight of evidence from thousands of studies, these experts conclude that current exposure standards must be drastically revised because they are absolutely NOT protective of the public health.(49)
You’d better do something for yourselves, or you and your kids will literally fry.
Thanks to Amy Worthington for doing all the heavy lifting work in compiling this, from a piece in the Idaho Observer.
1. “Growing Concern over Safety of Cell Phones for Children,” D.Carvajal, 3/7/2008, www.emfacts.com; Yankee Group predicts 10.5 million preteen cell phone users by 2010, see www.microwavenews.com, March 2007.
2. “Family Logistics Should Determine Whether Your Child is Ready for a Cell Phone,” L. Flam, Associated Press, 2-5-08.
3. “Teen and Tween Cell Phone Calls Rise During the Summer,” Fox 51, 8-6-2007.
4. Armstrong quoted by Microwave News, March/April 2008. The Interphone project is coordinated by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Teams of researchers across the globe have gathered health data since 2000 on long term mobile phone users and their various types of tumors. The data is being analyzed at IARC’s headquarters in France.
5. Pediatrics, Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Vol. 116, No. 2 August 2005, pp. 303-313.
6. “Children and Mobil Phones: The Health of the Following Generations is In Danger,” Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, Moscow, Russia, 4-14-2008.
7. “Cell Phones ‘Should Not be Given to Children,’ ” W. Knight, London, NewScientist.com news service, 1-11-2005; “Why Cell Phones Will Hurt Your Children,” mercola.com, 2-07-2008: The Vienna Medical Association says “Children under the age of 16 should never use a mobile phone.”
8. “Canadian Health Official Warns Consumers to ‘Limit Cell Phone Use’ Especially by Children,” The Toronto Star, July 12, 2005.
9. “Growing Concern over Safety of Cell Phones for Children,” D.Carvajal, (France) 3/7/2008, www.emfacts.com.
10. “The Biological Effects of Weak Electromagnetic Fields,” Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, 4-13-2007. Dr Goldsworthy is a researcher and honorary lecturer with the Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, UK.
11. “Cell Phone Use Causes High Frequency Hearing Loss,” Newswire, Source: American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 09-12-2007.
12. For information on Dr. Zaret’s ground-breaking microwave research see: The Microwave Debate, Nicholas H. Steneck, 1984, p.162.; also The Zapping of America, Paul Brodeur, 1977, pp. 61-64.
13. “Israeli Research: Cell Phone Radiation May Cause Visual Damage,” 07-29-2005, www.isracast.com.
14. Cell Phones: Invisible Hazards In the Wireless Age, Dr. George Carlo and Martin Schram, 2002, p. 216.
15. Confidential Report On Tetra Strictly for the Police Federation of England and Wales, Barrie Trower, September 2001, p. 7. This report by a renown British physicist is an outstanding archive of microwave health issues.
16. “What Cell Phones Can Do To a Child’s Brain In Two Minutes,” Sunday Mirror, UK ,12-26-01.
17. Salford, Brun, Eberhardt, Malmgren and Persson, 2003, “Nerve Cell Damage in Mammalian Brain After Exposure to Microwaves from GSM Phones.” Environmental Health Perspectives 111:881-883; also “Swedes find GSM Radiation Causes Nerve Damage at Very Low Doses,” Microwave News, Jan/Feb 2003.
18. Koyu, et al., “Effects of 900 MHz electromagnetic Field on TSH and Thyroid Hormones in Rats,” 06-10-2005; also “Aspects of Hypothalamic Neuronal Systems in VMH lesion-induced Obese Rats”, Takahasi et al, Journal of Autonomic Nervous System, August 1994; 48 (3): 213-9.
19. “Only Ten Minutes on a Mobile Could Trigger Cancer, Scientists Believe,” D. Derbyshire, Daily Mail, UK, 08-30-2007. This research was done at Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel and published in the Biochemical Journal, August 1, 2007, 9405 (Pt3) 559-568.
20. “Scientists Link Eye Cancer to Mobile Phones,” J. Leake, The Sunday Times, UK, 01-14-2001, Electromagnetic Hazard and Therapy 2001, Volume 11, Numbers 2 to 4; also “Cell Phone Linked to Salivary Gland Tumors,” United Press International, 02-14-2008 (Tel Aviv University).
21. “Cell Phone Risks Cited in Studies: Three Groups Find Danger, Tumors,” South Florida Sun Sentinel, 02-01-2006; “Long-Term Mobile Phone Use Raises Brain Tumor Risk: Study,” Reuters, March 31, 2006.
22. An in-depth report on the REFLEX project can be found in the on-line brochure Health and Electromagnetic Fields: EU-funded research into the Impacts of Electromagnetic Fields and Mobile Phones on Health published by the European Commission., 02-29-2008.
23. Ghandi, G. “Genetic Damage in Mobile Phone Users: Some Preliminary Findings,” Indian J Hum Genetics, 2005, 11:99-104.
24. “EMF and the Role of Increased Charge in Promoting Disease and Impairing Tissue Repair,” Gerald Goldberg, MD. Find this excellent article at: http://www.buergerwelle.de/pdf/emf_and_charge_promotion.pdf
25. Dr. Zaret quoted in The Zapping of America, Paul Brodeur, 1977, p.74.
26. “Evidence for Genotoxic Effects (RFR and ELF Genotoxicity)” Dr. Henry Lai, Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington,. Prepared for the BioInitiative Working Group, July 2007, see BioInitiative Report..
27. “Mobile Phones Linked to Cancer,” BBC news, 11-09-1998, “Mr. Philips told the court…”It has been repeatedly shown that a few minutes exposure to cell phone type radiation can transform a 5% active cancer into a 95% active cancer for the duration of the exposure and for a short time afterwards.”
28. “Health Risk of Electromagnetic Fields: Research on the Stress Response,” Martin Blank, PhD., Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, Prepared for the BioInitiative Working Group, July 2007, see BioInitiative Report..
29. “Proteins Hold Clues to Cancer and Brain Diseases,” C. Deriso, Medical College of Georgia, Medical News, February 2006.
34. “Will We All Become Electrosensitive?” Orjan Hallberg and Gerd Oberfeld, Electromagnetic Biology and Medicine, 25:189-191, 2006. Worldwide, the number of reported cases of extreme electrosensitivity has been steadily increasing since the condition was first documented in 1991.
35. “Teen Mental Health Declining in the United States,” Oxford University Press, 06-29-05, www.truthout.org.
36. “Four Anti-Depressants Shown Unsafe for Kids,” The Washington Post, 04-22-04.
37. “A Systematic Chart Review of the Nature of Psychiatric Adverse Events in Children and Adolescents Treated with Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors,” T.Wilens, MD. et al., Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, Volume 13, Number 2, pp.143-152.
38. PBS Frontline: The Medicated Child, January 8, 2008.
39. “What Cell Phones Can Do To a Child’s Brain In Just Two Minutes,” Sunday Mirror, UK, 12-26-2001.
40. From statement by Dr. Hyland reporting to STOA Committee of the EU regarding children and cell phones. Dr. Hyland is with the University of Warwick, Coventry, England and also the International Institute of Biophysics, Neuss-Holzheim, Germany.
41. “Cell Phones Hurt Children Even Worse than Adults,” William Thomas, 2005, www.willlthomas.net. See also EMF Health Report March/April 1995.
42. “The Biological Effects of Weak Electromagnetic Fields,” Dr. Andrew Goldsworthy, 4-13-2007.
43. “New Study Shows Cell Phones Cause Brain Changes,” Reuters, 06-20-2002. This study was done by Finland’s Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority.
44. “Germans Worried about the Health Effects of Mobiles,” Expatica, July 15, 2007, www.expatica.com.
45. “Changes in Protein Folding: A Nonthermal RF Mechanism,” Microwave News, May/June 2003. This is an excellent summary of Dr. David de Pomerai’s work how on weak microwaves can change the shape of cellular proteins, causing them to clump together and form protein fibrils similar to those associated with neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Creutzfeldt-Jakob. Dr. dePomerai is with University of Nottingham, UK.
46. Leif Salford et al., “Nerve Cell Damage in Mammalian Brain after Exposure to Microwaves from GSM Mobile Phones,” Environmental Health Perspectives, Volume 111, Number 7 June 2003.
47. “Children and Mobil Phones: The Health of the Following Generations is In Danger,” Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection, Moscow Russia, 4-14-2008.
48. Quoted from letter by Norbert Hankin, chief environmental scientist with EPA’s Radiation Protection Division. This letter was received by EMR Network 7-16-02 and can be found at www.emrnetwork.org.
49. BioInitiative: A Rationale for a Biologically-based Exposure Standard for Electromagnetic Radiation, see “Summary for the Public and Conclusions,” Cindy Sage, MA, August 2007.
Call me a technophobe (one correspondent did!) but DON’T FALL FOR THE OFFICIAL LIES, INCOMPETENCE AND DECEIT!
Find out how many transmitter antennas are near you: go here and type in your zip code http://www.antennasearch.com